Thursday, September 27, 2007

Adjustment Disorder

This is what the doctor called what I've been experiencing lately. Well, he said that's what he was putting on the paperwork (apparently, if you have a mental illness, it can follow you for a long time and you could end up paying higher premiums for some insurance, etc) so that's what he put. Really, he said I have a lot of stress, some anxiety and a life that is too full right now, but that probably won't change much anytime soon. Yep, you got it dude! But I coulda told you that.

No, really, he was very nice and easy to talk to. He didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. I spoke to him about my husband and he said to just keep "gently" encouraging him to seek someone to talk to, even if it's not to get medicine. He said around his age (39) some men start having hormonal fluctuations (didn't even think about guys having hormones) that could be the reason for the depression. He gave me some good ideas about how to talk to him about it.

I went to Florida this past weekend and we really had a good time there together. We were stress and kid-free and I'm really glad I went. Some friends of ours are getting divorced and we talked alot about them and their kids and how we don't want to end up like them or put our kids through dealing with a divorce. Since we got home, we've both been trying really hard to be more attentive and also to back each other up with the kids. At least I feel better for now. We'll see in a week or two.

He actually came by my work today (he's only done that one other time in 6 years) after his doctor's appt. He found out he has to have surgery for a herniated disc in a few weeks. Maybe if he stops living in so much pain, he'll be a little happier. I talked to him about what the doctor told me - that maybe he should consider going just to talk some things out - and he just looked at me like I was crazy - so I will continue to gently encourage and we'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

ccw said...

I'm glad you are going to therapy and getting something back. Being happier yourself can only help your marriage.

I hope that your husband will follow your lead.

kathi said...

Good for you! I'm really happy that you went, and about your get-a-way with hubby. Getting back to the basics of your relationship, it's all good.