Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11


I was at a new job at had just started about 6 weeks earlier in Children's Hospital here in St. Louis. Someone called and told us to go to the administrative suite and watch the news or to check CNN. We couldn't get on to any of the news sites, so we ran to the confernce room. I came back to my desk immediately and called my husband and he said yes, I'm watching it - Oh My God another plane just flew into the other building. We originally had thought it was an accident until we heard about the 2nd one. We were all really scared. I remember feeling like we could all be under attack in any or all of the cities througout the country. I remember going to the bathroom and hearing stange noises from the pipes and thinking that if they wanted to get a big number of people, they could certainly hit the largest medical center in the city - I was really, really scared.

I had just made the decision 6 weeks earlier to make a 90 minute commute to and from work and on this particular days, and many after it, I started 2nd guessing that decision - what if there was a crisis at home and I was an hour and a half away? It took awhile for me to work through this and I don't think about it much any more, but I do still think of those families, those children, who went off to work and school that day, like any other day - probably arguing with their spouses about who would take the kids or arguing with their parents about what to wear to school and those are the last conversations many will have ever had with their loved ones. It's so sad to think of it still - how those people are coping with life. I really feel for them and hope God is present in their lives.

Here is a link - if I can do it right of a pretty cool rememberance site.

http://www.legacy.com/stltoday/sept11/home.aspx

4 comments:

kathi said...

You did it right (for the site) and thank you for it.

I can't imagine the commute you make, it's a huge sacrifice for you because I know no one would do that if it wasn't worth it.

I was having a pap when it happened, and they turned on the t.v. in the exam room. I was on my back, exposed and watching it live on t.v. Never forget it.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the link Shannon, I have sat here reading through many of the bio's and still can't believe that this terrible event occured.

I too remember exactly what I was doing when I found out what was going on. It's a moment of life that will never be forgotten.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

No prob girls - glad to use my linking knowledge for some good:)

You could spend hours reading through all of those, huh?

Have a great evening!

Deb said...

Isn't it amazing how we can recall every single detail of where we were, what we were doing and what was going on around us. I was in an office, in a call center for a phone company, and they wouldn't let me offline (off the phones), because they wanted me to keep taking incoming calls, but I was having such an anxiety attack. Then, all of our phones lines went down, because they were all under the trade center to begin with.

What a tragic day.