Monday, June 16, 2008

Out to Lunch with Gay Nephew - Be home later!!!

I took a class last week. It was a week long class and I got 3 credits toward my undergraduate degree for taking it. It was a shitty class, I didn't really learn much, but it only took a week and I got 3 credits. Yippee!!! I'm taking another class this summer too and it is also an expedited class. It lasts for only 5 weeks and we only meet one time a week for one hour. I have to write a bunch of shit about my feelings, etc, but I do that anyway for free, so am I lucky or what?

I did a bad thing this weekend. I have a gay nephew that I love with every piece of my being. He is actually my husband's nephew, but I have been very close to him since I met him when he was 8. He used to always hang out with me, babysit for me, go on softball trips with us and I cried when I found out he was gay because I was afraid of the life he would have to lead. I didn't believe it and fought with my husband when he came home and told me that someone had told him. But, I've come to term with it and I love him all the same, maybe more. There will always be a special place in my heart for him.

So, Friday I was taking this class and I knew I would get out early. He texted me on Wednesday and I told him about the class and wanted to go to lunch on Friday. I happily agreed, but didn't tell anyone about it. All week long, I got out of class early and came home to chaos and too much shit to do and it sucked, so I planned to go to lunch with him, go get my nails done and pass it off like I got out of school a little early, but not 1/2 of a day early.

Well, I went to lunch at a lesbian bar (they are the funnest people ever), we had a couple of vodka shots (his demise) and he wanted to show me an apartment nearby that he wanted to rent. His mom, my sis-in-law freaks out that he lives in the city and always worries about the neighborhoods he chooses to live in so he wanted me to check it out so I could tell his mom that he would be fine. So, off we went. We drove by the apartment and went into another little bar he frequents - had another shot and played Wii - bowling. It was a freakin' blast. It's been awhile since I've had so much fun! I cannot begin to explain how much we laughed and how much fun we had.

Back to my car, stopped by one other bar - no shots for me - I'd had plenty and I went home. It was 5 o'clock when I left the city so I would actually be late getting home, not early as I had anticipated and there would be no fancy nails for me! Darrell was pissed when I got home because I didn't tell him what I was doing. He's not real fond of this nephew, because of the lifestyle he chooses and he thinks he may be developing a drinking problem (I'm not sure I disagree). Anywhoo - he wasn't too happy with me Friday night and Saturday he had to play ball so he was gone all day - YIPPEE!

Yesterday we went to his parents and I bbq'd all day - had a sort of relaxing day and all was back to normal for us. Oh well, so he was pissed and didn't agree with a decision I made (and was probably a little jealous - though more of my relationship with his nephew - one he feels he cannot have with him) but he's over it. I conceded that I should have told him what I was doing - but that's the only thing I was wrong for. OK, so now it's over. Until the next time he gets pissed at me and brings it up again - yeah, so I'll deal with it again then. It was fun and I wouldn't give it back for all the tea in China. I needed to have a day like that and I'm glad I did it:)

1 comment:

kathi said...

It's good that he can reach out for you and you're there for him. I've always been close with my nieces and nephews, relationships I'll always treasure.