Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dieting, New Cars and American Idol

OK, the dieting is going OK, it's not as hard as I thought as long as I'm prepared with food to eat, so I'm not going into the cafeteria at work or the vending machine in the afternoon or stopping at fast food on my way home. I think I can do this if I can keep myself organized and prepared.

I did hit a little bump last night though. We bought a new car, it's ugly I think, but the gas was just killing us in my other car and I drive a very long way to work. It's a 2007 Ford Focus Hatchback, it looks like an egg on wheels but we got a really, really good deal and it's brand new and fully loaded. We saved like $6000 in rebates and the Friends & Family plan since my B-I-L worked there. I don't like how it looks, but it was fun to drive this morning and the stereo jams!!!

Anywho, I was waiting for Darrell to get home from playing softball (he drove the new car) so I could see it (he picked it up from the dealer.) And suddenly, I was starving. It was like 11:30pm and I ended up ravaging the kitchen and ate about 300 calories more than I should have. I even dipped my finger in the peanut butter jar!!!!! I'm sad - I fell off the wagon, but I'm right back on and the scale says it didn't hurt much (wait til tomorrow).

Here's my American Idol update. This started out as a comment to Princess Slea's post, but it got so long I decided to put it here on my own blog. So, if you go to her blog, don't read my comment or it will be redundant:)

I heart David Cook. He's my fav, but I sorta hope he doesn't win because I think he'll be better off if he doesn't like Chris Daughtry.

I agree with Princess Slea. I thought Jason could have done a better job at "Forever in Blue Jeans" but that's just him. I wonder if he secretly wants to go home? I don't know what they're singing next week, but I was thinking, it'd be really cool if Jason sung "The Joker" by The Steve Miller Band.

I cannot stand Brooke and I did a little dance of joy when she was booted off. I don't know why, I just don't like her. I think she's sort of cocky to Simon and I just don't like her attitude.

David A is good, we all know that, but I'm not sure pop is the correct genre for him. He needs to do the Broadway stuff and he always looks scared, like his dad's gonna whip him or something if he doesn't do a good job.

I thought Syesha did a great job on her second song and I really thought her hair looked pretty like that, but either she or Jason will probably be next.

One other thing - wtf is up with Paula? She is on some serious painkillers or she's drinking way more than one martini before the show. I almost feel sorry for her, like she's just a lost little butterfly. She's always standing up and dancing and I don't know just acting crazy. Wonder if she'll be back next year? Oh and wasn't it sweet that Simon's first crush called in, he seemed genuinely shocked and happy to hear from her.

Oh, and Michelle - send me all the tips you want about fiber or weight loss. I'll take whatever help I can get:)

3 comments:

princess slea said...

when i look at david archwhatever, i know he has good voice but something is off with him. he seems really depressed actually.
clay aiken had that broadway voice too but he had a kind of appeal that this kid is lacking.

good luck with the diet. losing weight sucks and it's hard. i need to get back to the gym and back on the elliptical, my energy is low. i was thinking about documenting my weight loss on youtube. i figure it might be more incentive if i want to show off my "new and improved" body at the end. we'll see.

Michelle said...

Hey Shannon,

I clicked on your email link, but it wouldn't bring it up, so I'll just post stuff that I am doing here. Sorry if it turns out to be a book. :)

First with the food. There are snack foods out there now that are loaded with fiber and taste really great, at least to me and my family, and I'm pretty picky. One is a granola bar made by Fiber One. There are 3 different flavors, chocolate is my fav, and it has 9g of fiber and only 140 calories. I love it, my kids love it, and my husband loves it. Also, Curves makes one too, it doesn't have as much fiber but is less in calories, and it is really good as well. 3c's wrote about some crackers she eats a while back and I went out and got some and I think they are great. They are made by All Bran, and they have a couple of different flavors, but I think the one I get is just the original, plain one. I eat them instead of chips. Moving right along, Pepperidge Farm has some great whole wheat breads that are soft and yummy and are high in fiber and not to bad in calories. The 2 I get are the "Soft Texture, Honey" and then the "Honey Flax". And of course I try to eat at least 3 or 4 servings of fruit and vegetables per day. Oh and I almost forgot that Post Raisin Bran has a ton of fiber per serving, that's if you like raisins. It's something that kinda had to grow on me, but I really do enjoy it now.

Now you can't go from only having 10 or 12 grams of fiber per day to 25. You have to slowly add them over the course of a week or two, but it is something that will truly help you in losing weight. Also, I can't stress enough on how important getting at least 30 minutes of walking in on a very regular basis is. You can do sit-ups and crunches all day long, but if you don't do a "fat-burning" exercise as well, you will probably not see a lot of change in your waist. So get out your ipod and get to walking. :)

The last thing is trying to cut back on caffeine. It's hard I know but it also helps by keeping your body properly hydrated. And don't get to discouraged if you mess up, just try again the next day. Well I hope this helps and I'm sorry for how long it turned out!!

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

PS - You're right with David A and I'm using my backyard diploma to diagnose him as just a tiny bit clinically depressed. He'd probably join the likes of Britney & Paris eventually if he did win it.

Let me know if you youtube it, I'd like to subscribe to that. It might help keep me on track.

Michelle - Thanks so much for typing all of that and for the suggestion of not adding it all at once, I probably would have done that. I really appreciate your suggestions and have to go to the store tonight, so I've got All Bran crackers and Fiber One granola bars on my list.

I've been doing great with the fruits & veggies things. I've been packing raw carrots, celery, cucumbers to eat on my way home from work which is my absolute worst time. It's so easy to run through Dairy Queen and nobody ever has to know.

I'm doing good with the water, but not so great with the exercise, so I'll start working on ways to fit that in. Thanks again!