Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Yesterday was my birthday. It was actually pretty good. Since my mom passed away in 1992, my birthday has always sucked, along with Thanksgiving (the day she died), Christmas and Mother's Day! I would start thinking about her and then the holiday would just start going wrong. In the past few years, I've been coming to terms with how I feel and what makes me feel that way and I think I've been doing a pretty good job of turning it around. I just talk myself out of it a few days before the big day. Well, it wasn't ever really that easy with my birthday.

I don't think anyone has ever made me feel like my mom did on my birthday. Even after I grew up and moved out, she would call me first thing on the morning of my birthday. I could always count on that and when she wasn't there to call me, it sort of put my day off on the wrong foot. Recently, I've been getting over that (I know it sounds ridiculous for a 38 year old woman - but I really miss my mom) and yesterday was a pretty decent day. My hubby works from home, so he's always in bed when I leave. Yesterday, he woke up long enough to tell me Happy Birthday. That was a good start.

Then, my friends at work had a food buffet for me (good for the tastebuds, not so good for the diet). I'm gonna have to work extra hard for the rest of the week, to continue my loss for this week. I'm up to 11 pounds in 3 weeks so far, so I'm pretty proud, but I don't want to mess it up because it's my bday! Anywhoo - I then went to my inlaws after work for beans and cornbread and fried potatoes - who can resist that? She had me stop by C racker B arrell on my way home to pick up my own bday present - at least I get what I want (Yankee Candles). My hubby baked me a cake and even brought me a small piece with a glass of skim milk (he never does that) and I asked him to take a walk with me and he did (we walked a little over a mile) All in all, it was a pretty great birthday - I feel very loved!

5 comments:

princess slea said...

happy birthday yesterday. glad it was good.
you are never too old to miss your mom. i'm still blessed enough to have my mom around and we are very close. i'd be devastated if something happened to her.
just as you love your own children, no one loves you like your mom!

3carnations said...

Happy late birthday! Sounds great.

My uncle was born in the wee hours of Christmas. My grandma used to always call him at the exact minute he was born. I'm not sure he necessarily liked that, but what a sweet thought! :)

kathi said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great day. Really nice of your co-workers to do that for you. I don't think I've ever had a man bake me a cake, that's really special!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!! It sounds as though you had a great day.

And way to go on the weight loss thing! Eleven pounds in 3 weeks in awesome, I'm still stuck at 6, but what can ya do?

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Princess - thanks, I agree, but it is getting a little easier after 16 years - Wow!

3Cs - thanks - I always remind everyone exactly what time they were born on their birtdays too:)

Kathi - Thank you! It was nice and I always tell Darrell he makes the BEST cakes - so he does it - my little secret!

Michelle - Thanks! Slow is better - Slow is better - Slow is better - I keep having to remind myself:)