Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Free Store

My youngest daughter has a new friend. Well, actually she talked quite a bit about this girl during the last part of the school year. They talked on the phone alot and Sonya wanted her to come over. My kids all have friends over CONSTANTLY, so it would only stand to reason that this girl would visit with us and maybe spend the night. To put things in perspective, we have four kids and have not had more than four or five nights since school got out that we have not had at least one extra kid spend the night. That's just how it is at our house.

Anywhoo, the mom didn't want her daughter to come over for some reason or another so I even sent a note to school telling her that we would love for her daughter to visit for a couple of hours or possibly spend the night. No response. Sonya didn't understand & frankly neither did I, but oh well, she got over it.

Fast forward to a month or so after school got out, we're at Wal-mart and Sonya says there is my friend - let's say Hi. Well, her mom was just outside the door smoking a cigarette, riding a scooter and she had 2 or 3 kids with her - one of which was a couple year old boy with just a diaper on and a snotty nose and the others, well, let's just say they didn't have on their Sunday best. Don't get me wrong, I run to Wal-mart all the time with my hair thown up, no make up and a t-shirt & shorts or sweats. So, maybe that was this kind of a day for them too.

So we said hello and the girl wanted to come home with us, but the mom said no. OK, we'll do it another time.

So last week the girl calls again & says her mom said it's OK if she comes over to spend the night so I go get her because they don't have a car (hence the scooter). I pull up at their apartment and the whole clan comes out to look - not say hello or tell the girl bye, just to look. So she comes over and it's 90 degrees, she's got on a long sleeved boy's shirt and I tell them to go get their swimsuits on so we can get in the pool and she says she doesn't have one - she only has swim suit bottoms and a shirt so Sonya wants to swim in her t-shirt & bottoms - OK, fine.

After she left, Sonya said 'Mom, I really feel sorry for my friend. She only had 3 outfits at school and some of them were boy clothes. I'm glad we don't shop at the "Free Store". I just smiled at her & told her I was glad too. Almost made me glad to get up & come to work today.

My son asked me 'Mom, what makes people keep having kids like that if they can't afford to take care of them? Isn't her mom embarrassed that the girl doesn't have any clothes & that they're poor like that?' I told him we don't know anything about them and that maybe they are happy with their lives. I really hope they are.

6 comments:

kathi said...

Wow. That's a hard one... I'm glad this girl has your daughter for a friend and a chance to visit with you, may be one of the highlights of her life. Praying for her and her family (and that scooter). Hugs.

ccw said...

Wow! That's just sad.

Not to sound mean but I really don't understand the clothes thing. If they are getting their clothes for free or at a thrift store, I just can't comprehend why they wouldn't have clothes that are at least semi-decent or for the right gender. I will admit that I am bias because I grew up poor (no car, phone, tv, refrigerator for many years) but my mom had the sense to ensure that I was always dressed like everyone else. I realize with multiple children dressing the same would be too much but ensuring that your kids are dressed so as to not be made fun of at school?

Off of my rant, I'm glad that your daughter is her friend. I imagine they can both learn from the friendship.

Michelle said...

Another WOW from me!! I'm glad too, that your daughter has befriended her. I'm sure her life at school must be hard because let's face it kids can be quite cruel.

Tell your daughter that I'm proud of her for looking past the exterior of this family, and accepting her friend for who she is and not where she's from. That shows a lot of character , and that her momma is raising her right. :)

kathi said...

Ditto Michelle, she's such a smart one.

3carnations said...

That story made me sad. Like the others, I'm glad your daughter befriended this girl who is "different". I hope I teach my son well to be the same way.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Thanks for the comments. It's cool to blog & see that someone else is reading it, huh?

Well, we may have started something. My oldest daughter said the friend called yesterday & when Heather answered, she just said 'Will you come and pick me up?' Uh-Oh!