Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How did we ever survive as kids?

I am 38 years old and I still remember only being allowed to talk on the phone for 20 minutes at a time. I then had to hang it up for at least 30 minutes, in case someone was trying to call and couldn't get through. I wasn't allowed to "tie up the phone" all night. Now, I'm not saying that our kids should have to go through some of the things that we did, but come on, can't we make them suffer a little?

Everyone in our house, with the exception of Sonya has a cell phone and texting privileges. Sonya will be 10 in March and she wants a cell phone. Whatever, kid! Two of her 10 year old cousins have cell phones and "ALL" of her friends have them, so I am being the worst mom on the planet because I won't get her one.

First of all, we are on A T & T's family plan and they allow 5 phones - there are 6 of us - so until Heather starts paying for her own cell phone - there is no way she can get one anyway. I told her to talk to her dad - there's no way he'll budge on this - for one - he's a tightwad and doesn't think anyone but him should have a cell anyhow - good luck darlin'.

Also, they have called school off tomorrow because of the cold. This is kind of weird to me. I mean, we do have heat in our schools and I feel bad for some of the parents that work and won't be able to find someone to keep their kids. I remember having to walk to school in the cold (maybe it wasn't this cold) I think it's supposed to get down to 2 degrees tonight, but anyway, walk to school with a dress on, with pants underneath and my grandma made me wear a headscarf - of all things. You know, the kind that old ladies wear when they leave the beauty shop? The ones made of nylon? Hideous.

I must be getting old, but I think our kids just have it too darned good! I may have to think of something to make them suffer tonight - I just may end up making them do the dishes! I mean, by hand - not using the dishwasher!

No comments: