Monday, March 3, 2008

Snow - Dogs & College

Well, another snow storm is on it's way! I'm soooo ready for spring. Looks like we'll get 6-10 inches tonight and we had almost record high yesterday in the 70s - crazy weather. Kids will most likely be out of school tomorrow, if not longer and I'm sure I'll probably be home from work. We've had an unusually snowy winter and I've had to work at home alot because my commute is so long. I know the others here that live close are probably getting irritated with me because I have that luxury and it certainly is nice, but I do feel bad and sometimes feel like I'm not doing my part.

DJ is a little better about Jackson dying, but still tears up if we talk about him. We did adopt a new dog from a rescue shelter. He's a toy poodle, only 3 pounds right now - I'll post a pic when I get one. He's so cute and full of life, but it's hard work raising a puppy. You have to mix his food and constantly take him outside. He's making tons of messes and everytime I straighten the kitchen rugs, he goes in there and yanks them around until they're all flipped over. It was cute the first 10 times he did it - now I'm ready to wring his neck:) It's not the same as Jackson, but Winston is finding a place in all of our hearts - along with the 3 cats, 4 gerbils, 2 outside dogs and fish:) (one of those died yesterday, too, but it wasn't nearly as traumatic)

Heather and I visited Mizzou - It was AMAZING!!!!!!! Heather is so psyched to go there and I wish I was going with her. It is so cool! They have 3 pools, 2 indoor & 1 outdoor. One of the indoor pools looks like a hotel pool and has a hottub, sauna, lazy river and whirlpool. The other is an Olympic sized pool and has music streaming so you can hear it under water! They have a bowling alley, pool hall, independent film theatre all on campus. She won’t even have to drive, they even have a grocery store and pharmacy within walking distance. And every fast food joint you can think of. If I had known college could be like this, I might have actually left home and gone instead of getting involved with a jerk and starting a family - but then this would be a different blog altogether.

She is stoked about the dorm, so that’s good. I was afraid she’d want to get an apartment. Although, we may have been better off with the apartment, the dorm is $8,500 a semester. That is with 3 meals a day so hopefully the price will drop substantially when we tell them we only want one meal a day in one of the 5 dining halls. I know she won’t get up for breakfast anyway and with all the fast food, snacks, etc. I’m thinking one good meal a day is better than what she’s getting at home now.

I hope she won’t get homesick……….yeah right! She wants to move there now!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad that things are getting easier for DJ, but I'm sure it will be awhile before he is tear free.

Wow, Heather's school sounds awesome!! The college that I went to was certainly not that nice, nor the other ones that I looked at. Sounds like she has a pretty sweet deal indeed. Oh, and $8500 per semester sounds insane to me, I guess we really better start putting away more for our kids college funds.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Yes, we are lucky. I work for a university and they are paying her full tuition. We are only responsible for housing, books & food. See why I drive 90 minutes one way? I'm definitely seeing the benefits now:)

ccw said...

Losing a pet is so difficult at any age. I'm glad to hear that DJ is doing better. Can't wait to see pics of the new dog.

I will not even comment on the college costs b/c it scares me to death. The youngest won't start college for 16 1/2 years.

kathi said...

Girl...when we first got Danny (who am I kidding with 'first', lasted for about 4 months) I thought I was gonna kill this dog. I had my doubts whether I could ever house train this dog. Now...he's my baby. Even his no-no's are cute...to a point. :)

And the college thing, yeah, she'll get homesick. ;) LOL...well...I'm sure some do, just not in my family!