Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summertime, Summertime Sum, Sum, Summertime

Well, the graduation party went smoothly, except my older nephew got a little too "happy" on vodka & made a few of us uncomfortable. I love this one so much - I've always had a special place in my heart for him. He "came out" a couple of years ago and since this is mostly a redneck family - it's difficult for him to deal with his uncles, grandpa, etc. Everyone has sort of accepted it now, but the "underneath" stuff is still there and I just feel like when he's around us, he's so uncomfortable in his own skin, that he drinks to give himself courage. I just hope he doesn't get this way at home (and I told him so the next morning when he called to apologize). I told him he really had me worried and I was afraid he was developing a problem with his drinking. He told me he knew he needed to slow down some and that he would work on it.

All in all it was a good party. My wonderful father-in-law had a few of his older friends out and they "jammed" in the garage. He plays the fiddle and they play guitar & sing. I was so glad to see him feeling like doing something like that. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer in March and had a heart attack a couple of weeks later. Once he recovered from the heart attack, he had his kidney removed at the end of April and has been a little depressed since then. I'm so grateful he felt like coming to the party and playing music - I think that's one think that truly makes him happy.

Things are basically the same around our house. Still baseball in full swing - at least for the next couple of weeks, but after that hopefully, we can plan to do some fun summer stuff to do. My husband is really grouchy, but he's coaching both of Colby's teams and I think it is just too much for him. He's used to having time to do his own thing - he usually plays softball 4 nights a week, but hasn't hardly played at all yet this summer. He's playing in a tournament this weekend, so maybe that'll cheer him up. He's also not sleeping at night. He's taking Ambien, but I think the effect is starting to wear off. My snoring is keeping him up - and I know it's cuz I need to lose about 50 pounds - OK, at least 30 pounds - but I just can't seem to get up the energy to do it. I'm so freakin' tired all the time. Probably because I need to lose about 50 pounds! Big circle!

Work is starting to suck some~ I work at a university and our new students are getting ready for the fall. They are all so excited about coming here, they have hundreds of questions and want to know what they're schedules will be and when Christmas break will start yada, yada, yada - driving me a little bonkers, but I can't help but be excited for them too. They're starting a brand new life here and they're scared too. Parents call too. They're scared. I think it helps parents to talk to someone who is also a parent and they think I might care a little more about their kid:) I care about them all - unless they're buttholes:)

Oh well, that's enough for now. Oh yeah, I'm reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway - I'm telling myself I can read a smut novel - then I have to read a classic , then another smut novel, etc. I'm really enjoying this book - but I'm almost finished. I've got Anita Shreve 'A Wedding in December' planned next and I need to figure out my next classic - any suggestions?

More later,
Shannon

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Shannon...found you on Kathi's blog, so I thought I'd say hello.

Have you read Pride and Predjudice or The Count of Monte Cristo? I like to read the books and then watch the movies if they have one.

kathi said...

That is so cool about your father in law and his buddies playing the music in the garage! What a great party! Wow, he really has been through a lot, glad he felt like playing, too.

I use to take ambien. Took it for several years and I did become immune to it...now I take lunesta, ask his dr. about that. Sometimes I may take an exederin p.m. too, if I really need the sleep.
My husband always snored and it had nothing to do with weight. They have all that stuff now, like the spray and strips, have you tried those?

Hugs hon, if you need an exercise buddy, let me know.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Michelle -

No, I haven't read either, I'll put them on my list. I've always found the book to be much, much better than the movie, you?

Kathi -

I'm gonna check on the lunesta - that might help - he just can't get his mind to shut off sometimes. Me, I sleep like a rock and could probably sleep on a rock. I've tried the strips and they didn't work, but I'm going to check with my dentist about some sort of device to keep my mouth shut (I'm gonna hide it during the day, though:))

Michelle said...

Actually in the case of both of these books, I loved the movies more. The books were good, but for some reason I really LOVE both of these movies.

That doesn't happen often though, usually the books are better by far.

kathi said...

I was thinking of you today because I started a book my neighbor loaned me, we always read the same stuff. Anyway, it's really good and I got into it right away. It's called The Woods by Harlan Coben.