Thursday, June 14, 2007

graduation party

We're hosting a graduation party for my nephew at our house this weekend. I think we got chosen because we have a pool and because someone didn't want to clean the house:)

Mine is never clean either, believe me - it's pretty disgusting down deep, but we can make it look pretty good on the surface when we want to. I took the day off tomorrow (working at home - one of the only perks I got when I became a manager - stupid decision) So I'll be working my butt off all day tomorrow and Saturday morning just for people to come and mess it all up that afternoon. You know, we should clean our houses really good after a party, not before.

This particular nephew has something going on with him, but I don't know if he's ever really been diagnosed, or if he just has a combination of things. They thought he was autistic when he was 3 or 4 because he was so smart already. Honestly, he could read (taught himself by memorizing) when he was 3. He was an avid horse racing fan - because Gramps and Dad were - and he liked to read the racetrack books. He was tested and they said no on the autism, but think he may have a touch of Asberger's. He is the sweetest thing and I love being around him. He's really smart at math, but lacks some social skills. You have to engage him or he won't talk to you. He wants to be a math teacher. I'd like to try to help get him into the local community college because I hate to see him sit at home now that high school is over and waste away. His parents don't really know what to do at this point, but they've always done the best they could by him, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Anyway, I'm so proud of him for graduating and I have high hopes that he will rise up and be everything he wants to be. I love you, Cody Allan. You're the best~!

More later,
Shannon

1 comment:

kathi said...

The kid is so blessed to have you in his life...an aunt can be a great responsibility, and have a huge impact on ones life.

I absolutely hate having people over. My house doesn't get really dirty (one of my inherited curses), but I never feel like it's clean enough and so when people come over, I'm a wreck.

I hope y'all have the best party ever!! Congrats to your nephew!!