Friday, April 4, 2008

Poor baby Sonya:(((

Sonya and I have an appointment on Monday. We have to go and get two of her baby teeth pulled. OUCH!!!!. She was very concerned about her teeth and has been for several months. Her two front teet were coming in very crooked and her baby teeth right next to them had fallen out several months ago and the permanent ones have not yet broken through. I was mildly concerned about this, but I remember being concerned about my other children's teeth and then they all came in and they all look great and I worried for nothing so I told myself to stop it and I did:)

Well, I figured she was going to need braces, but that she just turned 9 and we had to wait until all her permanent teeth came in so we had awhile. My niece & nephew have braces so I told my sis-in-law to ask the dentist when he'd like to take a look at her and he said bring her on in and we'll take a look, sometimes we can get started with a few on the first four teeth, so I made an appt thinking we'd go in for a consultation and look around, get x-rays, go through costs, etc.

Well, he says the poor thing has alot going on up there and needs to get some stuff done right away to avoid future problems. The two baby teeth second from the front teeth are holding the permanent ones from coming down and those roots are "eating" the roots of the two front teeth. I know, it's gross, but I saw it with my own eyes. Well, not really the eating part, but I saw the roots kind of bumping into the other roots - you know, like they were gonna eat them later.

So, he put two cute little braces on her two front teeth and referred us to someone else to get those other stubborn baby teeth pulled (that should have already fallen out on their own) and we have to do that on Monday). Then back to the orthodontist in 6 weeks and hopefully two more teeth will have grown in by that time and we can attach the braces already there to two more teeth. We'll just keep connecting them as they grow - how convenient. He says she's likely to have more than one set of braces over the next few years and my insurance only covers $1500 lifetime on orthodontics so looks like Mr. Piggy Bank might be broken for quite some time.

On a related note, I was a little pissed about this. Students in Sonya's class that had perfect attendance for the quarter received a treat yesterday. They all got to enjoy a popsicle right in front of the children that did not have perfect attendance. I do not appreciate this, not only because my child did not have perfect attendance due to a prior sickness and her orthodontist appointment but also for the other children in the class that had been sick. I totally believe that the children that do have perfect attendance should be rewarded because that is quite a feat, but couldn't it have been done with a ribbon or a pin - why food and why did they get to enjoy it right in front of the other kids? That seems totally unfair to me. I told Sonya she may never have perfect attendance again, now that she must see the orthodontist every six weeks and she said "That's OK, mom - I'll have perfect teeth instead!" That's my girl!!!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yikes!! Sounds like Sonya is going to get to know here orthodontist pretty well before it's all over with!! There are several kids in Hannah's grade (3rd) that already have braces too, and I was kinda shocked by that. I didn't get braces until I was around 13.

I totally agree with you on the attendance thing. That is really unfair to the other children. Who can help it if they come down with the flu and have to miss school? Maybe they just want you to send them in sick or not, I bet that would go over real well. :)

kathi said...

Poor baby, and kids care about their smiles...especially girls. My kids would look at their smiles in the mirror...Charlie still does. :)

The teacher is an idiot. I taught for several years and I'd never have made kids feel left out on purpose. That was a terribly cruel thing to do. I'd hope you'd feel comfortable enough to discuss this (in love) with her so that it may not happen to another class.