Thursday, September 4, 2008

Palin's speech - not as great as Obama's

I was reading 3Carnations blog and she wondered if the shoe was on the opposite foot (if Palin was a democrat) would things be the same? I commented on her blog and then thought it would make for a good post on my own blog, so pretty much copied what I wrote there. Hope you don't mind.

First of all, yes, I do believe that if Palin was Obama's running mate, the same would be going on - only the Republicans would be doing the bashing. No matter what they say, it's always gonna be politics as usual.

I've not yet made up my mind which way to go. I did enjoy Sarah Palin's speech last night, but not as much as I enjoyed Obama's last week - I'll wait to hear from McCain himself though before judging, though something tells me that his speech will lack the charisma that Barrack's had.

Sarah Palin does scare me some though. I am pro-choice, even though that would not be a choice I'd make at this time in my life, I do believe that it is my choice and every other woman's choice. I'm not saying I feel it's right, but I also don't feel the government should make that choice for me.

It scares me that she wanted to remove some books from the library in Alaska. I need to do more research on this, but I don't feel that censorship is a government right either. I feel certain things should be kept from those under 18, but I do not feel the government should decide what a grown person can read. I am totally against censhorship by the government. I was a long time listener of Howard Stern and yes, sometimes I had to turn it off because I was sickened by some of the segments he broadcasted - but I listened to most all of his monologues and his discussions with Robin and Artie - I loved those - I actually learned quite a bit about politics from him over the years. I didn't agreed with everything he did or said, but it was MY CHOICE to listen to him and MY CHOICE to switch the station if he said or did something I didn't like. I cannot imagine a country where the government decided what I could listen to or watch on TV.

One other thing - I liked that she brought her family out last night and that they all held their heads high - they should. They have something to be proud of - a close-knit family that has some of the same struggles that we all have to go through. They're getting by, just like the rest of us. I do feel, however, that she should have addressed some of the bigger issues (not the family-related ones) like the economy and what the plan will be to fix it.

I'm still gathering info and I want to make an informed decision and if I had to vote tomorrow, I honestly can't say who I'd vote for. Right now, it's a toss up.

6 comments:

3carnations said...

I'm glad my post got you thinking. :)

I think the reason she didn't hit many issues in her speech last night was because she was essentially introducing herself to the nation, since we didn't know as much about her as we did about so many other candidates.

The vice presidential debate is in a month, and we'll learn all about where she stands then, if not beforehand. :)

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

You're right. They were saying on talk radio yesterday that she should basically just introduce herself and then talk about McCain, which is what she did. I'll be looking forward to the debates.

Michelle said...

I like Palin, and am glad that McCain has found a strong woman to be his VP. One thing that I have learned is that you can't believe everything that you hear and it's best to do your own digging for the truth about these candidates.

It's true that McCain does not even come close to to having the charisma and speaking skills that Obama has, but if you listen to McCain during town hall meetings he is more precise with answers and gives more substance to the issues than Obama.

My beliefs make it impossible for me to vote for anyone who is not Pro-Life. So, in this case, I had my vote figured out a long time ago, the rest of the issues are just details.

princess slea said...

I must admit that after watching her speech, I had to rethink some of my opinions too. Shamefully, I judged her based on appearance and those initial media blasts against her.

As much as I think Obama's future world sounds like bliss, I am far too skeptical to believe he can actually accomplish it. I still know way too many lazy, stupid people who want something for nothing (lovely welfare recipients who somehow manage to have money for drugs and flat screen t.v.s).

see, this has been my dilema..my inner do-gooder fighting with my inner cynic.

kathi said...

I don't like Palin. I don't get a comfortable feeling in my gut with Palin. But, I've never voted democrat in my life. I don't know. I'm just sad that out of this great country, this is what we have to choose from.

Deb said...

I totally hear ya with the banning of certain books. Who I would love to see behind McCain would be Condoleezza Rice. You may or may not agree with that, but it would be more of an interesting twist in my opinion. A black female, great speaker, intelligence, experience and everything that goes behind an interesting candidate for VP.

There's been a lot of shit slinging on both sides. I have to say that I am pro-life, however in certain circumstances, such as rape, molestation or incest, then it should be a choice. Then I have thoughts like, "Well God gave us choice...therefore,".....etc.etc.etc.

It's a tough call.

People vote upon personal values and reasons. I just hope that the best candidate wins and that the person who I least like, if he does get in, will run the country beautifully.

:)