Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Heather is gone to college...

She came home this weekend and had a surprise for me...

She got a tattoo! It is a skull with a pink bow on it - it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I knew she would be getting one because she's been talking about it for a couple of years, but before I left her at college only 2 short weeks ago - I told her (and my sister heard me) "If you are going to get a tattoo - think long and hard about it and make sure you get something that means something to you. It will be permanent and I want you to be able to look at it 50 years from now and know that it meant something"

So, what does she get? A fucking skull with a bow!!! When asked why she chose that, she answered "it was free" -- Hmnm! Thank you Mizzou for making packets of "free" stuff available to your students. It's not enough for you to charge $8500 for classes and $3000 for a room for 4 months, and $1000 for one meal each day and $700 for books for said classes - you also like to give out "free" stuff to students - Coupons for a "free" tattoo at a local tattoo parlor - Anything on this wall is free~take your pick.

I would have rather paid $500 for a decent fucking tattoo!!!! But hey, she likes it and like my sister said "If that is how she expresses herself, then so be it" - I just can't wait for her to have to go through the teenaged years:)

It is on her back between her shoulder blades (at least it's not a tramp stamp - I'm sure Sonya will have that area covered!) She told me early last week that she had a surprise for me and when she asked me Friday night if I was ready for my surprise - I thought she had a little present for me - you know, for being such a great mom! Boy, was I wrong- I was really pissed, but I'm over it now - she really is a good kid and if this is the worst she does (This better be the worst she does) then I'm OK with it. Darrell was mad, but he's over it too. When we took her back to Columbia Monday the last thing he said to her was "NO MORE TATTOOS!" If she gets anymore - no more help from us for college - she's on her own!!!

When I asked her what she was going to think when she was 70 years old and the skull was hanging down over her asshole - Colby promptly answered for her "She'll think - man, what a good time I had in college" Great - thanks, Colby.

Anyone else ever experience this? How are you supposed to handle it? I'm not a tattoo person, myself, but I do like some tattoos on certain people - just not my kid. Why do kids do this stuff?

5 comments:

M.Amanda said...

Confession: I got a tattoo in college. It was for the dumbest reason ever - my friend basically called me chicken. I must say, even though it isn't something dumb like a picture of Taz, which a friend of mine has, I totally regret it. Totally.

If I did it, I wanted it to mean something, you know, since it is permanent, and I couldn't think of anything that I would still be meaningful 20 years later. After all, I was mixed up then and had no idea where my life would lead me. My friend said that was a cop-out for a person afraid to really live.

That headcase is no longer in my life, but I still have this stinking tattoo. Why? Because kids gotta do dumb stuff to become smart.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Good Answer! I love it. Thanks for the insight and like I said - it's not THAT big of a deal, but it was my baby girl:)

princess slea said...

i have lots of tattoos, the first of which was a fairy (hey, my hippie days in art school).
i also went through the piercing phase in 1991. happily i was over that by the time it became the "in" thing.
in high school i had every color hair you can imagine. i wore thrift store clothes and would let my friends experiment on cutting my hair.
i don't think anything i did would have shocked my mom. she is probably more shocked that i am now a middle aged "mom" who appears quite normal.

your daughter can always get that skull turned into some tribal design or something if she changes her mind. or as I've always said "when i'm old, they will have developed a cream you can rub on to erase it right off". I think they actually already have one.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Thanks for the insight, Slea. I know this means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but I just wish it would have been something cute or meaningful. Aw well, you know what they say - one person's cute...

She actually sounds a lot like you when you were a teenager. She has had pink, blue, orange hair, whatever - clothes that don't particularly match - you get the drift. She marches to her own drum, which I know is a good thing - and hey - you turned out alright, huh? I did tell her I was secretly going to rub Wrecking Balm (to get rid of the tattoo) on her when she was home - hehehehe!

ccw said...

I got 3 in rapid succession when I was 18. I had the two that would be visible in clothing removed when Teen L was a toddler. (Note to others: it hurts like hell to have them removed)

The third I had covered up with a new one earlier this year. It's much bigger now but I like it better and it is still hidden.