Monday, August 11, 2008

Some would call him inventive

DJ (15) and Heather (18) - leaving for college in 8 days:*( had a rather heated disagreement about a month ago ending with a hole in the bathroom door made from a broomhandle. I still don't know what the argument was about.

DJ set about figuring out a way to keep himself out of trouble. Darrell was out of town, so he had some time. Before I got home from work, he had taken about 3-4 doors off of the hinges looking for one that would fit the bathroom. The only one that would work was Heather's closet door, but she wouldn't let him have it. He offered to pay her for the use of her closet door and she took him up on the offer.

He then exchanged the bathroom door for her closet door and thought he was home free. When I got home, they told me of the incident, but I really didn't see any harm in keeping this info to myself - after all, what did it really hurt? Of course, they got a huge lecture about fighting - but I'm sure it went in one ear and out the other.

As I sat on the toilet, I looked at the door and realized that there was no lock on the doorknob to the closet door - I laughed at DJ and said he wasn't as smart as he thought. He promptly retrieved the drill from the garage and changed the doorknobs as well. Smart kid, huh?

All went off without a hitch until earlier this week when Darrell got into Heather's closet for something and noticed the hole. Heather fessed up immediately that it was totally DJ - he exchanged the doors all by himself and she had nothing to do with it. She didn't mention the hush money. He called me and I said yes, I did know that they had done it, but the problem was taken care of and they had to work as a team to get it accomplished, so I wasn't worried about it. I guess he sided with me because he dropped it too (BIG, BIG SURPRISE), but he did tell DJ that since he had so much money (he's been working all summer mowing grass) that he could now look forward to paying for every single thing the he destroyed in this house and that he would do the work himself. Do you think this will keep him from horseplaying, fighting, etc???? I sure don't. I know this sounds terrible and I'm sure I'll change my opinion when he really screws something up, but I was a little proud of him for thinking of that and also for implementing the plan all by himself - well, with a little help from his big sister. He's sure gonna miss her when she's gone - we all will.

2 comments:

kathi said...

Hon, I read this at work and had people asking me what I was laughing at. I've had two kids, and know how 'inventive' they can get to stay out of trouble or disguise the errors of their ways, lol. This was hysterical, thanks so much for the mood lifter, funny stuff...and good kid.

Oh, and Casey left Sunday to move back in at school. Renting a house with 4 other guys this year instead of living in the dorm. Trust me, I know what you're feeling.

ccw said...

That is some quick and creative thinking!