Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"This close" to having a boyfriend

I picked Sonya up from baseball practice with the boys last night. Darrell wanted her to come and practice with the boys for awhile, grounding balls, etc. I wasn't thrilled, but she didn't seem to mind, so I didn't put up too much of a stink about it. I called about half way through and she was ready to go so I went to get her.

When she got in the car she said "I was "this close" to having a boyfriend until the teacher had to start running her mouth" What! How rude, I said. Don't say things like that about your teacher. "Well, Mom - this boy was looking at me and said he wanted to ask me something, then he was about to ask me and the teacher said "blah, blah, blah". So, he never asked" Who is this boy, I asked? "He's really big and alot taller than me, probably Colby's size (Colby's 11, she's 8). He's not fat, he's muscular" What? She's 8! I asked her what about JP (the crush she's had all year). She said "I'm tired of waiting around for him, I've moved on" Oh!

Whatever am I gonna do with her? She is an amazing 8 year old (will be nine in about a month). She wants to go on a trip to Chicago for her birthday on a plane! OK, we don't know anyone in Chicago and have never been there, but that's where she wants to have her birthday dinner - I was thinking more along the lines of Cici's Pizza.

Also, she wants a laptop. She's been searching the net for one we can afford. How on earth can I get her a laptop when I have 3 children older than her that do not have laptops, however, I am truly considering buying one for the entire family to use. Is that spoiling? I don't want to spoil my kids, but we really do kinda need more than one computer. The one we have now is in the living room and we're all fighting for time on it. There are 6 of us and we all use it to some degree. I'm planning to buy Heather a laptop before college but I just don't know.

I'm also a little embarassed to say that I checked Southwest fares from STL to Chicago and I could swing it if I really want to, maybe have just a girls trip with Sonya, Heather and I. What would be the reason not to, if we can do it financially? Do you think it's too much too soon and I'd just be setting myself up for horror later on? I need a guidebook - you'd think by the fourth child, you'd have all this figured out, but we're in a much better position now than we were when Heather was 8. Should we make younger kids stick to the same rules as the older ones did at their age? Heather's already mad at me because I got DJ a cellphone when he was 13 and she had to wait until she was almost 15. Times were different then, get over it!

6 comments:

3carnations said...

My son LOVES Cicis. He will be thrilled if we go there on his birthday.

The plane trip...Hmm...If you can afford it, it is a nice treat...Although maybe not do it for your daughter's birthday? Do it as a girl's weekend some other time? It might create some lofty expectations for future birthdays. :)

ccw said...

I know I spoil my kids but I think I would draw the line at thr trip unless you really can afford it and the others can go. Same for the laptop.

I'm with 3carnations, doing this now will set up high expectations for future birthdays.

I will fully admit that Kid L has had her own laptop since she was 10 but the 4 year old also has one. We did not buy either so it doesn't make me feel too guilty.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

I think you're both right about setting up expectations for birthdays later. However will we celebrate her 16th?

Thanks for the idea about doing the trip another time. Heather is getting ready to leave for college and maybe we'll do it when that gets a little closer, kind of a girls thing. The boys get to go out of town with Dad alot when he plays softball, so I don't think it'll bother them.

I'm still thinking on the laptop. I'll probably get one, but it'll be a family thing, not just Sonya's.

Thanks for the insight girls. We moms have to stick together.

kathi said...

From having 2, mine kept track sometimes of what one got and when. Charlie isn't getting nearly as much as Casey because when Casey was Charlie's age, we were a 2 parent family. Things change. I like the idea, though, of making it a girls weekend just to dodge that bullet should it come back to bite you in the behind. :)

The computer, geeze, 8 with a laptop. Well, times are a changing, but I dunno. We always had the one computer for the family, then Casey got a laptop for graduation which he's got at college. I had an old one cleaned up and restored to where it runs better than the one we have and put it in Charlie's room. I'm just thinking that if you do so much now, what do you do for them when it's a big celebration, like their 10th, 13th or 16th bdays...graduation...that stuff. Of course, I'm looking at it through eyes that can't do as much financially as you probably.

Follow your heart, hon.

Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Yeah, I know you're all right and I was thinking along the same lines, which is why I posted about it to get a better perspective on things.

My point is really that it's hard to not do as much as you can for them, isn't it. I really find myself having to pull the reigns in quite a bit. How do you keep from spoiling them, even when you know you shouldn't?

princess slea said...

I am in agreement with everyone else on the birthday trip. A wonderful little girl's trip before your daughter leaves for college sounds really nice. PLUS, March in Chicago? Very unpredictable weather, wait until it's sunny and you can really enjoy the perks of the city.

You should buy the laptop for YOURSELF and then allow them to use it. It would also come in handy when you take that Chicago trip. You can watch movies on it on the plane.

8 years old and thinking about having a boyfriend? YIKES, I probably liked boys then too but was too afraid to approach them. Good luck with that!