Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why are brothers & sisters so mean to each other?

Colby hates the sound of a metal spoon on a glass or ceramic bowl. He has to eat everything out of a plastic bowl - I just noticed this a few months ago, I don't know when it became an issue for him. He can't stand even a fork or knife on a glass or ceramic plate. He hears these sounds when the rest of us are oblivious.

Here is the conversation last night as Sonya was eating cut up chicken noodle soup out of a coffee cup at the kitchen table. He was pouring himself a soda (that in itself is a miracle because he never does anything form himself.)

Sonya - just eating, minding her own business.

Colby - "Sonya, stop making that sound with your spoon!"

Sonya - completely ignoring him

Colby - screaming now "Sonya - knock it off. Quit making that sound!"

Sonya - begins to scrape her spoon louder but still completely ignoring him.

Colby - at the top of his lungs "Sonya - if you don't stop making that sound I'm gonna come over there and make you stop!"

Me - "Sonya - please stop doing that with your spoon. You are aggravating your brother. Try to be a little quieter with your soup."

Sonya - "I'm sorry Mommy. I'm just eating my soup - I didn't know I was bothering him." This is all said with her back to me so I couldn't see her face, but I'm certain she had a very devilish grin on her face.

A few minutes later...

Sonya starts taking her spoon and going around and around the cup making all kinds of shrieking noices.

Colby runs over there and grabs the cup and spoon and puts it in the sink. Of course, she screams and he gets in trouble. Poor kid - his sister was just pushing his buttons. She was in trouble too - but she really deserved it. Oh well, I don't imagine it was too rough on them to go to their rooms. He was happily playing video games and she was playing with her new gerbils about 15 minutes later, neither one remembering they'd just had the house in chaos.

1 comment:

kathi said...

Siblings...best of friends and worst of enemies, lol. This all sounds so familiar. :)