Friday, February 20, 2009

I can learn too

Taking classes always makes me lust for more knowledge. I always am so fired up after a good class. I will take notes about things I want to lookup or learn more about later. I'm jealous when the "kids" in my college courses - you know the snotty ones who think they know it all just because they can pronouce the names of foreign leaders and I can't? I'm jealous that they know so much about the world, how come they do? And how come I'm too lazy to learn the stuff I really do want to know?

When someone talks about a topic - they bring it to life for me and my interest is piqued certainly. Then life gets in the way and I never seem to actually motivate myself to look at my notes and actaully dig up information.

Instead, I go to the tmz website or read blogs. I'll go to my hometown forum or check myspace 50 times a day and possibly play about 20 games of freecell.

I want to learn new things, I want to be well versed in politics, local issues, what's going on at home. I want to know more about world news, the history of our country and how to speak in Spanish, but I won't make a conscience effort to look something up and learn about it - why is that?

2 comments:

M.Amanda said...

If you figure it out, let me in on the secret. I always think it's so cool when people are informed on a topic, but I can't drum up enough interest to spend my free time becoming just as informed.

kathi said...

Your will is stronger. Make a commitment to spend 5 minutes each day reading on-line newspapers for a week. After a week, add some time...and so on. It's like any habit, it's hard to break one unless you replace it with another. Make yourself spend 5 min. reading/learning before you allow yourself to blog or play games.
Just a thought. :)